Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Haufbahnhof! Munich was awesome.

I absolutely love Munich. A few highlights:

1. Great metro system.
2. Great idea - Beer Gardens.
3. Great beer.
4. Crazy night on Saturday.
5. Dachau - incredibly intense.
6. This just keeps happening...

So, let me start by complimenting the designers of Munich and their metro system, which cleverly had the main metros all go through the main six stops in the center of the city, horizontally. I felt the idea was great because at any main stop, there were at least 6 metros you could take to get to the main station, the design was excellent, and it was all in one metro stop, not a confusing area where i'd have to go many places. Many metro systems that I have experienced have one main stop where all the metros cross, multiply that by 6, and you have metros all the time, eventually going to different places but for the main stations, most trains would work.

So, the concept of a beer garden was foreign to me. I did not know it, but it is the greatest social creation I have seen which combines beer and interaction. I sat down at my first beer hall and within seconds locals joined us to drink beer. It is basically hundreds of benches and you sit with your 1-liter beer, and your pretzel if you prefer, and drink and chat with random people, or with your friends. They don't care if you sit at their table, and it felt kind of expected for you to go around and meet random folks, it was great. special cheers to Eric, an old german friend which was fantastic and hilarious.

Now, if it was crappy beer, the idea would be ok. It was phenomenal beer. I fucking love Munich for that very reason. A liter of beer was about 7 Euros, so that wasn't too bad. I had way too many liters though.

On Saturday night I had so much fun, it was ridiculous. I partied my ass off with my other Georgia Tech friends we randomly met, it was great.

On Sunday we went to Dachau and it was very intense. 65 Years ago we said NEVER AGAIN when the Holocaust happened, we all said never. Today I look at places like Darfur, and I simply tell myself, what have I learned if this is still happening? I feel compelled to change the world now.

And of course, as we were in our hostel, we ran into about 7 other Georgia Tech kids, some of which were part of the GTL program, and some which were just travelling and partying after graduation. The lesson that keeps coming up, it's a small world after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment