Monday, May 17, 2010

I’m on a boat!

Catchy title, I know! Haha. I hopped on a boat in Zurich, Switzerland, and little did I know where I was going, or what I was really doing, but I was up for the adventure. Just sitting on the boat seemed absolutely spectacular. Apparently the boat goes all over the lake which borders Zurich, and I was there for the entire 4 hour round trip. I thought that was pretty neat. I took a look at the menu, and they had 8 different types of beers in their restaurant. This was definitely going to be a fun ride. The first beer I had was called Eichhof Lager hell, a great name. My fries were particularly salty, which made the consumption of beer an absolute necessity. After taking picture of a couple with her parents (not creepishly but rather because she came over and asked me if I could take a picture of her, using her antique portable recyclable, camera), hearing a young child tell his father about taking him to the scary cave with a bear, and observing a lady play triominoes, this trip kept getting more spectacular.

The small cities near Zurich which surrounded the lake were particularly like toy houses. They looked funny and cute. It was truly a different feel, small settlements with large fields of grass, one house atop the hill, the calamity of the towns was truly breathtaking. I heard the young child begin to make scary bear noises, as my second beer arrived, Eichhof Braugold Premium (Stange). There was another beer on the menu called Panache Eichhof Braugold Premium (Stange) which seemed strikingly similar, and she goes, oh its just basically watered down. I later found out they just put like a bit of Sprite in it. I had to order it next and see the true difference. We then stopped at an intriguing island, and I truly wish I could’ve gotten off for a few minutes, but I stayed on my seat with my beer, and enjoyed the view. I found it funny that I was the only one under 50 on the boat, but then I realized that out of all the places that I would retire, this one ranked high up there. The distribution of greenspace, with calm waters made you really want to live in the small towns which were surrounded by mountains. By now, I was more than halfway through my napkin, in which I originally wrote this story, and the waiter looked over at my word-filled napkin, truly dazzled. I stood up to take a picture of the dock, using the mountains as a great background for the dock. It was then I realized that although it was great to take pictures of the view and of nature, people was what fascinated me. The emotions and expressions which people display were a true depiction of the beauty of human feeling. Many a time I wonder, amongst all these mountains, who is out there? Who inhabits that one house atop the hill, in the lost landscapes of Switzerland?

I went to Interlaken yesterday, and the city truly touched my heart. It was surrounded by mountains, and the small town had spectacular houses, it was the place I wanted to be. The human passion use to be that of discovery and essentially, construction. Quickly, the desire to discover died out as our passions shifted, and evolved into developing our ability to think. There still exists those few lads who dare to climb Everest, but undiscovered lands quickly diminish. Half a century ago, we had to go to the moon, essentially, just to satisfy someone’s need to see more, and discover something else. I truly respect those who continue to discover the little that is left, but I can’t help but notice how we choose the wisdom within us instead of the wisdom around us. It is the nature around us which got us to think in the first place. Let us never forget that. Our schools encourage solely the learning of the mind, and not that of the body. I heard in a great TED talk, that it seemed we use our body simply to carry our head around, and that was it. Inspired by the talk, I came to realize that all of us are tested in the areas of math and science, but only some of us come to experience, for instance, dance. The boat I am in continues to go through the mountain, and the views only dazzle my mind. I have run out of napkin, and so I take a sip of my third beer which is evidently not the quality of the normal version, and I finally come to realize, I have arrived in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment